Get To Know Judge Belle Schumann
Judge Belle Schumann
Judge Belle Schumann is an experienced trial judge:
In 2005, Judge Belle Schumann was appointed by Governor Jeb Bush to the position of Volusia County Court Judge. She has been elected twice.
Judge Belle Schumann has presided over more than 200 jury trials and has served three times as Associate Judge of the District Court of Appeal, Fifth District. She was the first county judge ever so honored.
In 2012, Judge Belle Schumann founded the DUI Treatment Court to provide intense treatment and supervision for repeat DUI offenders.
Also, in 2012, Judge Belle Schumann founded the SAVE Docket to divert homeless and indigent non-violent offenders to community service instead of fines and court costs.
She was the professionalism Chair for Seventh Judicial Circuit from 2008-2015, organized three seminars at ERAU and designed a circuit wide lawyer referral program.
Judge Belle Schumann was elected by fellow county judges as Administrative Judge from 2009-2013 and Circuit Representative to Conference of County Court Judges from 2007-2010.
Since 2008, Judge Belle Schumann was been the Chair of the Advisory Board for CTDP (Correctional Treatment Diversion Program), a 60 day in-jail substance abuse program that has saved thousands of jail days and millions of dollars.
Judge Belle Schumann had been nominated three times for appointment to District Court of Appeal, Fifth District.
Honored for Community Involvement:
- 2014 Volusia League of Cities President’s Award
- 2014 John Allen Humanitarian of the Year Award from Halifax Urban Ministries
- 2014 Florida Realtors Award in recognition of efforts to help the homeless
- 2014 Daughters of the American Revolution Certificate of Appreciation as keynote speaker for Constitution Week
- 2014 Stewart Memorial United Methodist Church Honors Women in Government
- 2011 Sam Bell Award for Service, Haven Recovery Center
- 2007 Woman of the Year, Volusia-Flagler Association of Women Lawyers
- 2005 Golden Gavel Award from Atlantic High School, Academy of Law and Government
- Boy Scout leader for 12 years
- Past President of Homeowner’s Association
Experienced appellate attorney:
Before taking the bench, Judge Belle Schumann had twenty years of experience as an appellate attorney with 680 published decisions at all levels of state and federal court. She had over 30 oral arguments before the Florida Supreme Court and over 100 oral arguments before the Fifth District Court of Appeal. She was the Bureau Chief of the Attorney General’s Office for seven years, supervising 22 attorneys. She was lead counsel in ten death penalty cases including serial killer Gerald Stano from Daytona Beach and Orange County courthouse killer Thomas Provenzano.
Honored by other attorneys:
- As an attorney, rated “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating possible, since 1994.
- Certified as an expert in Criminal Appeals by the Florida Bar since 1994.
- Elected President of the Volusia County Bar Association in 2004.
Committed to legal education:
- Currently teaching other judges at state conferences since 2008 in subjects including jury trials, legal writing and evidence.
- Certified by State of Florida to create classes for police officers to satisfy continuing training requirements and presented courses for four years.
- Taught police officers basic training and paralegal classes for over ten years at Daytona Beach Community College.
- Coordinated Law Week speakers for five years for Volusia County Bar Association, reaching over 3500 students each year from kindergarten to college
- Presiding Judge for two years for Florida High School Mock Trial competition
- Teen Court volunteer for seven years
Deep roots in Volusia County, Florida:
Left to Right: husband Bill, semi-retired journalist, son Ben, an attorney and Officer Candidate in the U.S. Marine Corps, and son Alex, civil engineer with the City of Ormond Beach
Judge Belle Schumann is married, with two sons and has been a resident of Volusia County for over 35 years. She graduated from Stetson University, Cum Laude, and Florida State University, College of Law, with honors. She is a native Floridian, born at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, FL. She loves Volusia County and the people who live in our wonderful community. We hope you agree and want to help re-elect Judge Belle Schumann for Volusia County Judge.
Thank you for taking the time to read about Judge Belle Schumann. If you would like to make a contribution to her campaign, please click on the donate link or send a check with your occupation (the state requires us to list your occupation) to: Belle Schumann Campaign, PO Box 291581, Port Orange, FL 32129.
Thank you again!
2018 Poll of Volusia County Bar Association Lawyer Results (hint: Judge Schumann ranked #1 in two areas)
2018 Anonymous Poll of Volusia County Bar Association lawyers rating 26 judges, ranks Judge Schumann number one in knowledge and application of the law and diligence and preparedness!
The amazing First Step Shelter is one step closer to reality after Wednesday's ceremonial groundbreaking! I cannot say thank you enough to everyone who is working so tirelessly to make our community a better and more humane place.
From Judge Schumann, her family, and all of us at the Committee To Re-Elect Judge Belle Schumann, we want to wish you a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!
We weren't able to fit all of our amazing photos with friends from the 10/4 Rice Law Firm Judge Belle meet & greet into our first event photo collage, so we've created another!
Thank you so much to everyone who came out to say hello at the Judge Belle Meet & Greet on October 4th, and a very special thank you to Rice Law Firm for hosting this event! The turnout was fantastic and a great time was had by all!
See all posts